Friday 19 February 2010

A New Friend

The more I've interacted with the mice the more I've wanted a mouse or hamster of my own. I love my goldfish but you can't cuddle them - guddle* yes, cuddle no - and the mice very sensibly won't come near enough. So on Wednesday when I saw a cage in my price range I snapped it up, particularly as it was the last one in the shop. I took it to the pet shop which has some lovely mice that I've had my eye on for a couple of weeks only to be told that my cage was a hamster cage and unsuitable for mice. I started to walk dejectedly out of the shop when a thought occurred to me - When life hands you lemons, make lemonade so... when you've bought a hamster cage, get a hamster. I went back in and chose a lovely chocolate brown one and arranged to pick  it up after work.

When I went to get the bus home I had my shopping trolley loaded with my work gear and some wood shavings and paper bedding for the hamster, the cage which is roughly 15" W x 15" D x 24" high, and, of course, the hamster.  Getting on the bus wasn't easy but I was relieved to get a seat by the luggage rack with space in front of it for the trolley.

I've called the hamster - a female - Hephzibah which is Hebrew and means 'my delight is in her'. Here she is


The cage is 3 storeys tall and the bars are orange and green with a green base as you can see from the picture.  Hephzibah didn't like it at all at first but once she tried out the wheel and got the hang of it she didn't want to come out.  In fact she became so obsessed with running round the wheel that she tired herself right out and went to sleep in the bottom of the wheel with her head hanging over the side. Later that night I tried to get her out of the cage but she was desperate to go back to her wheel.  I seem to have chosen a hamster who is as obsessive as I sometimes am about things lol

*To catch a fish by hand

No comments:

Post a Comment